My tips on Strangers
All strangers aren't bad. Some are good, but don't think that all are good.
Some are out there to hurt your body, or even go as far as kidnapping you. I don't
want you to go around being scared if there's someone you don't know, because there
are millions of people in this world and you only know a few, so don't freak out
when you go to the grocery store and you see a person you have no idea who they
are. If you see a person who makes you uncomfortable, or that tries to do something
to you, here are a few tips on how to handle that situation.
- Stay away from strangers that look dangerous to you.
- Have a family code word that you can ask a stranger if they tell you to go
- Your body actions tell a stranger if you're an easy target to hit, or if
you'll try to defend yourself. If you look lonely or left out, they'll try to
become your friend and try to hurt you.
- Use the buddy system and always have someone else with you because a stranger
will know that if they try to hurt you, then the other one will turn against them.
- If you're home alone, never let anyone know you're there alone or open the door
to a stranger if your parents are not available to be there with you.
- Never take shortcuts, especially ones that are dark and deserted because people
will hang out there and think they'll be able to catch you since people don't go
there, so no one will be there to help you.
- Be cautious and observant. If you notice someone looking at you who you don't
know or you're not comfortable with, then go to a big group of people. The stranger
probably won't go through a whole crowd to get to you, having to defend themselves
against a larger group.
- Know the five strikes:
*Head butt- if someone grabs hold of you, throw your head back. It doesn't
take much to break someone's nose, and they'll go to the
aid of their nose instead of holding on to you.
*Eye attack- if someone grabs hold of you, then put your thumbs into
their eyes, and they will also go to the aid of their eye
instead of holding on to you.
*Foot stomp- if someone grabs hold of you, then stomp on their foot
really hard and it could break their bone, and again, they
will go to the aid of their foot, and not hold onto you.
*Biting- if someone grabs hold of you, bite them!
*Groin Strike- if someone grabs hold of you, then hit or elbow their
stomach, and they'll probably double over and let go
Remember, after the stranger releases you, then run! If you do something to
hurt them, then they'll have to take care of that, then run after you, so you get
the head start!
- Protect your personal space. If someone comes too close, then back away! This
will also provent them from grabbing hold of you.
- Say NO! if someone tries to give you something or ask you to do something,
then go tell an adult you trust immediately
- Avoid kidnapper traps such as "I've lost my dog. Can you help me find him?"
"If you tell anyone about what we talked about,
I'll smash your head."
"My gameboy just ran out of batteries. Can you
help me put some more in? I don't know how."
"Little boy, I'll pay you ten dollars if you
carry my groceries to the car"
If you are tempted to do one of these things, then remember when you're with
someone you or your family doesn't know, and they ask you to do something, say,
"NO! GET AWAY FROM ME!" If that doesn't work and they grab you, scream and try to
draw attention to yourself and scream "HE'S NOT MY DAD!" or "SHE'S NOT MY MOM!"
If you don't yell that, then people will just assume that they're your parents and
you're just throwing a fit.
- If someone touches you in a way you don't feel comfortable, then go tell
- Most important of all, trust your feelings. If you don't feel one 100% that
you trust them, then don't push it!
If you have any more suggestions, e-mail us and we'll add 'em on!